Moving is almost always stressful. Whether you're moving across town, across the country, or somewhere in between, we can all use helpful hints for moving into our new home!
1. Get rid of what you don't need to take with you. If you're paying a moving company to move your stuff, your usually paying by the pound. That means you're paying to move things that you may not even want if you don't clear out the excess clutter before the move. If you are moving yourself, well, it's more sweat and back aches! Set a standard for what you really need to move and what you can live without. And then stick to it!
2. Once you've established what goes and what stays, think of how and where you can divest of said stuff. Maybe a yard sale? Donate? Recycle? Or maybe the trash? Choices, choices.
3. Pack up what's most cherished to you. Don't leave this to the movers. If it's that important to you, handle and maybe even consider moving it yourself. That way you can be better assured that it's taken care of the way you would want it to be.
4. Packed for you to move on your own, or packed for the movers, label, label, label! Number the boxes. Label the boxes. Keep an inventory. This will help with the peace of mind knowing that your things made it to your new home. This method will also help with the glorious unpacking process! You won't have to wonder what is in which box?!?!?
5. Set a timeline. And stick to it. A calendar can come in very handy for managing your move. Plan to pack room "X" by this date. Plan to have this appliance empty and ready to move by this date and time. And so on.
Moving is not typically easy or fun. But with some planning and execution, it can be efficiently and peacefully!