It still surprises me when I am asked whether it's okay for a client to attend the home inspection!
As a home buyer, it is in your best interest to attend at least some of the inspection. Nothing beats seeing what the inspector sees with your own eyes.
And since I'm on the subject, who are these home inspectors that don't want the client present at the home inspection? All I can guess is that perhaps these inspectors are afraid that the buyer might not be happy with the service they receive if the buyer sees it for themselves!
The moral of the story- Know your home inspector! Just like any other part of the real estate process, you are your own best advocate!
How is it possible, in this day and age, that people still lose their lives in a home fire when no working smoke alarms were present?
Below is a summary of the NFPA report from 2015 on this topic!
Report: NFPA's "Smoke Alarms in U.S. Home Fires" (PDF, 1 MB)
This report focuses chiefly on smoke alarm presence and performance in home fires reported to local fire departments in the U.S. Additional topics include the benefits of working smoke alarms, reasons why smoke alarms fail to operate, smoke alarm performance by power source, the difference in smoke alarm performance in one- or two-family homes vs. apartments, and characteristics of fatal home fire victims with and without working smoke alarms. The literature on smoke alarm audibility and waking effectiveness is also discussed. Fire death rates with various combinations of smoke alarms and automatic extinguishing systems are also presented.
1Homes include one- or two-family homes and apartments or other multi-family housing.
I can't count how many homes I've inspected that have no smoke alarms! This is a risk to every occupants' safety!
Check your smoke alarms! Do they work properly? Do they have new batteries? Are they less than 5 years old? Are smoke alarms present in every sleeping area and hallway at a minimum? Are the smoke alarms installed per manufacturer instructions?
An unfortunate story from Lockney, Texas provides a reminder of our responsibility as homeowners.
Several times, I have come across temporary wiring being used as permanent wiring. That may not necessarily have been the case for the tragedy reported in the story above, but the opportunity for accidents is still real.
Temporary wiring can be defined as extension cords in use as a permanent source of electricity.
It could also mean electrical supply devices that are being used in a way that they were not designed for by their manufacturer. This could possibly have been the cause of the accident above, but only the authorities can state for sure.
Ultimately, it's our responsibility as homeowners or occupants to follow the instructions provided with the products we use. If we don't, real tragedy is possible.